Take our look at our Etsy shop.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

All about Sunshadow Slippers

Please let me introduce myself. My name is Tracey, and I am blessed to live just outside beautiful Byron Bay in the northern part of NSW, East coast Australia. If you don’t know this part of the world it is truly beautiful, subtropical with divine beaches and lush rainforest. (As with everywhere it has it’s down side………..mmmmm, I’ll get back to you on that one!)
The area is just bursting at the seams with artistic talent; it’s very vibrant and joyful. If you’re interested in learning more I’m going to be showcasing lots of local talent in my newsletters along with general area info and more specific ‘what’s on’ in our Australian Steiner communities.

We moved here as a family from the U.K six years ago, we previously lived in Alcester, which is just outside Stratford upon Avon. We loved where we lived but I’m not a great winter person and needed more sunshine in my life – we also wanted the children to have a Steiner education, which is different from the mainstream and more holistic in outlook.
There’s lots of information on Waldorf Steiner education on the Internet and great sites, which list all the schools available.
My children attend Shearwater Steiner School, which is just fabulous, it’s a real joy when your kids are desperate to get to school each morning.
More info www.shearwater.nsw.edu.au

Lets talk slippers, those of you who are not familiar with the Steiner philosophy may not be aware of the importance of daily rhythms within this system. Children are encouraged with regular activities to enjoy the rhythms of life and to feel in touch with the changes in seasons and weather.
As part of this we create certain the distinction between outside play and indoor time by the changing of shoes. Wearing soft, nurturing shoes indoors helps us to feel warm and cosy and can help to stop those chills.
The Sunshadow range was designed specifically for that purpose, using natural fibres, which allow the feet to ‘breath’ and can be happily worn in warmer or cooler weather.
Each pair of slippers is uniquely created to be just as individual as you are, the dye is low toxic and sun reactive which means the process is very weather reliant, good job we have plenty of sunshine here! The motifs are from nature, butterflies and dragonflies, frogs and possums, dolphins and turtles – no corporate brand names here.

Our home is lively with colour as the cotton is printed and cut, all my 3 children have a part to play in the process – helping with dyeing, packing and stacking.
The slippers are then sewn by another local mum (trust me, nobody would want me to do the sewing) and insoles added ready to be sent out to their new home.
It’s a great way to earn a living, working from home with a shopfront that shows our products all around the world.

I hope you like our range of indoor shoes; if you would like more information please do contact me, I’m always happy to chat.
I have a website @ www.sunshadowslippers.com.au , this site will be growing each month so please check back regularly.

Tracey ☺

tracey@sunshadowslippers.com.au

2 comments:

Debra said...

Cute slippers!!!!

maria said...

Hi Tracey,
I'm sure we can all wait for the sun to shine again on Mullumbimbi...and shine it will!
In the meantime ...just enjoy the rain while it lasts....be in the moment....

Dry Regards
Maria
Heartfelt Steiner Dolls and Craft
Sydney